Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Interview: Viktoras Merkevicius

Hello Valued Readers!

We here at The Great Change have the joy of interviewing an astounding young man that is from Lithuania, a country located in Europe, bordering Poland, Belarus and Latvia. Welcome Viktoras Merkevicius. Mr. Merkevicius is currently in the states as a student-athlete at Rochester College in Michigan, where he is studying History. Vik, for short, manages his own blog located at viktorasblogas.blogspot.com. He is a great friend of mine and I value his input greatly. Viktoras and I had a great conversation below about his view and experience here in the U.S.A.

Enjoy!

The Great Change: Hey Vik! So first off, when did you initially come to the states and what brought you to the United States of America?

Viktoras: I came to U.S July 6th, 2011. The reason I came here was free education via a basketball scholarship. My first stop was Los Angeles, CA. 

The Great Change: As someone who was not born here, what do you see as our biggest problem, in your eyes?

Viktoras: In my opinion, the biggest problem that America has is their EGO and PRIDE in their own country. Every person has to have strong feelings and love for his native country, but Americans have too much of it. For example: The American flag. I was driving twenty miles from one spot to another, and purposely I counted how many flags will I see. I counted forty-nine flags on a twenty mile road. When people are using flags without any good reason, the flag looses its meaning. This is only one example. Another problem would be: Americans think that this country is the center of the world, but it is not. Our Earth spins around the Sun, not around the U.S.A.

The Great Change: What is the biggest similarity between the U.S.A. and Lithuania?

Viktoras: The most similar thing would be people's hospitality and willingness to help others. Both countries for the most part will help one without even knowing him/her.

The Great Change: What do you like most about the U.S.A. so far?

Viktoras: As I mentioned, I love people's hospitality. I have had a unique chance to live in different places in U.S.A. and see different faces of this country. I lived year in Los Angeles, a year in the Dallas area (TX), and now I am living by the Great Lakes. Every I place I have been, I have met people who have helped me along my journey and I am truly thankful for them. Also, ranch dressing. In Lithuania we do not have ranch dressing, and now I am just obsessed with it.  

The Great Change: How many American states have you visited and which state happens to be your favorite, why?

Viktoras: I have visited 13 states so far. My favorite state would be California because of the weather and all different fun things you can do there. My dreams is to visit Alaska one day. 

The Great Change: What is your favorite American memory so far?

Viktoras: I had many, many great memories from my living years in this country. Ode to your host Donovan I would have to say that the best thing we did in Texas with him was mixing "Menthos with Coca Cola". I remember we spent over 10$ to buy many bottles of this drinks and "menthos" candy. 

The Great Change: Lastly, if you were a Lithuanian Ambassador to the United States what would be your most important point to get across to our head of state, Barack Obama?

Viktoras: I know how American people are divided on this matter. Half of them love him and supports him, other half - don't. I wouldn't talk about any problems with him, because his life is filled with problems. I would just take to the bar and have a glass of good imported beer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment