Saturday, August 8, 2015

How To Dream

I ran into a man on the train a day ago. He began chatting me up about my future plans and what I wanted to accomplish in my lifetime. I told him my ambitions and he proceeded to drop a nugget of knowledge on me.

He said, " I do not know how to dream anymore. When I say this, I do not mean that I do not dream at all or that I dream incorrectly. I say that I do not know how to dream because I do not know the full possibilities of this life anymore. Coming from a humble household, my dreams are capped at the things that I have seen be accomplish and that have been possible to achieve by people that come from similar circumstances to my life. As I grow older, my dreams get closer and closer to the earth. At one point in my life I could only dream of traveling with my loved ones beyond our solar system. As a child I dreamed like a God. Somewhere along the way I began to believe the limitations that others put on themselves as the limitations that could and should hold me down. Peer gravity caught hold of my ambitions. Now my dreams are only wishes. My lesson to you is to never clip your own wings."


No comments:

Post a Comment