Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Interview: Ashley Humphrey

Hello valued readers,
I would like to share with you a young, black and gifted woman, Ashley Humphrey, with whom I had the privilege of asking some questions. Ashley is a poet, painter, writer and performs spoken word. Our conversation is below, enjoy!
The Great Change: How old are you?
Ashley Humphrey: I am 21 years old. My birthday is on September 11. 
The Great Change: What person in your life had the biggest impact in leading you in the road you are on?
Ashley Humphrey: That is really a tough question because I feel that there are many people who have greatly impacted my life. My immediate family has definitely influenced me to become who I truly am but if I had to choose one person, I would say my mother.  She is not only my mother; she is my friend and spiritual buddy. From the time she held me after birth until now and more days to come, she has instilled in me values that are priceless. She taught me how to not only be a woman, but to be a Christian woman who knows her self-worth. She taught me to be me and to be me boldly. I can honestly say that I wouldn't be who I am if she wasn't in my life as she has been.
The Great Change: When did you begin performing spoken word?
Ashley Humphrey: I began performing spoken word not too long ago. To be specific, I started performing my poetry last November. I have always been a writer, jotting down my feelings and experiences but I use to be afraid to express my personal writings with anyone.  My friend April Neal, a fellow poet, encouraged me to perform at an open mic she hosted and I loved it. On the stage I felt totally transparent.  I felt like God was using me to shine his light to people from my poetry.  From that day, I haven't stopped and I won't stop as long as my poetry continues to help people and give them something they can relate to.
The Great Change: When did you begin painting?
Ashley Humphrey: I have had an interest in art since I understood what art was. I started to get serious about painting around the age of 13. Painting has always been an outlet for me to express all the things that my words can't exactly capture. Sometimes, words cannot fully show the emotion, pain, or passion behind the letters so my paint brush started to do the talking. Now after spiritual and character develop, I've found a way to use my words and art to express my love for God, my experiences, and a way to encourage others who may be going through what I've been through.
The Great Change: What inspired your pieces such as “Skeptical”, “Lost Identity” and “Instrumental Soul”?
Ashley Humphrey: “Skeptical” is a painting that I did to express the skepticism seen within people who never have hope or faith. They are skeptical about everything only believing what they see.  The eye cannot see God so they doubt his existence which blinds their perceptions. It's those who are not skeptic that can see everything.
“Lost identity” is a piece that I feel describes a person who is lost on who he/she is. They try on different masks to fit the occasion or simply try to fit in with who they are hanging around. The different faces represent the different masks he/she wears to be accepted. The true face is not revealed because the true face is lost.
"Instrumental Soul" is a piece that I designed to show the soul that music has. Being raised in Memphis, TN really influenced the blues and soul type of art on the guitar.
The Great Change: What provoked your spoken word piece “Beautiful Flaws”?
Ashley Humphrey: “Beautiful Flaws” is a spoken word piece that I wrote to emphasize the beauty that everyone possesses. Sometimes we lose confidence in who we are or the way we look because magazines portray a certain image that is the "ideal look". It's something that affected me tremendously and many other girls. I felt that it was time that everyone sees that we all are perfect because our perfect God created us. God made no mistakes in creating each one of us and the way we look. We have to not be afraid of being who we are and looking the way we do. It took me a while to realize that but now that I do, I hope to help several girls realize it as well through this piece.
The Great Change: Describe the feeling you get while performing your craft, whether it be spoken word or painting.
Ashley Humphrey: When performing my craft, I feel that it is shared time with God. It's the time where I listen to God, express my love and appreciation for him, and just let go! When I'm performing, I feel a freedom that is indescribable.  All the things that I feel or thing comes out through my artistic expression. 
The Great Change: What impact do you wish to bring to your audience and who is your target audience?
Ashley Humphrey: I hope that by being transparent, I can let God shine through me with the talents he has given me. I just want everyone to know God, what he has done for me and what he can do for anyone who seeks him. I hope to reach our youth because negative influences are heavily present these days. Worldly acceptance is what our youth walks toward when the walk should be towards acceptance from God. My main goal is to show them that saying no to the world but yes to God is the best decision and most important one will ever make.
The Great Change: Are you currently working on any projects?
Ashley Humphrey: I am currently working on a book titled "Under-Construction: Spiritual Renovation". This book will be for those who choose to start their walk with Christ. I also have many community projects coming up to spread the word of God and kindness to the community. 
The Great Change: Is there an artist that influences your work or that you would compare yourself to?
Ashley Humphrey: The greatest artist is God and he is my inspiration. He created all things.  When we walk outside, we see different plants, animals, and other people who make up the world. It's such a beautiful thing to experience what he has created. Every one of my pieces is a recreation of his work from my perspective. I would never compare my work with his, but I will always show it from my point of view.
The Great Change: We here at The Great Change appreciate you taking time to answer a few questions Ashley and look forward to the release of your book, which we would love to have you back to elucidate upon when it is complete.
Ashley's previously mentioned works can be located and viewed on her website www.ashleyhumphrey.com or for social media updates from Ashley Humphrey follow her Instagram page @_ashleyhumphrey


No comments:

Post a Comment