Saturday, July 12, 2014

Interview: David McDonald

I had the chance to ask a long time friend of mine, David McDonald, some questions about his recent voyage to Africa in hopes of learning some information that can benefit us here at The Great Change and most importantly, YOU, our readers. David is a Youth and Community Studies Major at The University of Texas at Austin. He minors in Public Relations, African & African Diaspora Studies. My dear friend is also the President of the Black Student Alliance, Student Representative of the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, and Lead Mentor at the University Leadership Network. But, most importantly David is a young black male with a mission. Our enlightening conversation is below, enjoy.
The Great Change: So, David, what made you want to go to Africa?
David McDonald: Everyone NEEDS to go to Africa. I have always dreamed of going to Africa ever since I was old enough to understand that my heritage began in Africa. When the opportunity presented itself to go, I wasted no time in pursuing it. I didn't want to go to Africa for a vacation or to get get "the real third world experience", I wanted to experience a piece of myself that hasn't been explored yet and to understand the value of Africa as a whole.
The Great Change: What was your idea of Africa before you visited and how was that compared to the reality when you were there in person?
David McDonald: Before I visited Africa, my perception was completely wrong. The way the media portrayed Africa, I expected to see wild animals everywhere, the people not to understand English, and the stereotypical African experience that people think of when visiting Africa. When you're there in person, you realize how wrong everyone's perception of Africa really is. Yes, there are parts of Africa that are poverty stricken and have serious health conditions, but there are places in Africa that are extremely developed, have beautiful homes and cities, and have similar appearances to America. As a Black person with a lighter complexion, I didn't expect to see many lighter skin South Africans, but most of the people in South Africa looked just like me or even lighter. I finally felt connected to the land and the people. For the first time, I could be just David and not the minority or the Black person in the room. 
The Great Change: What part of Africa did you visit?
David McDonald: The city of Cape Town, in the Western Cape of South Africa. 
The Great Change: What was the biggest thing you took away from your experience in Africa?
David McDonald: The world is so much bigger than what I've known it to be and Africa is so much bigger than what the maps depict. I've realized how much I don't know about the world and how much I still need to experience. Going to Africa increased my hunger to see more countries and nations all over the globe. Then seeing the diversity within the African continent expanded my view of Africa. The experience you will get in West Africa is vastly different from the experience and history you get in Southern Africa. In South Africa. There is just so much more to learn and do now. 
The Great Change: How do you plan to use that experience to further the things you have already set into motion here in the states?
David McDonald: Now I feel more mobile. Not only do I have the mindset to move around abroad, but I can also move around more in the states. If there are job opportunities or networking that needs to be done, I feel comfortable traveling now since I have been abroad. For my career in Education, I'm no longer thinking about just the American education. I'm thinking about how I can have an impact on a global scale. 
The Great Change: What's the next big thing for you? 
David McDonald: The next big thing for me is Brazil. There is a huge Black population there and I know spending time in Brazil will give me a new perspective on the Black diaspora.
The Great Change: Thank you for your time David, all best of luck to you in the near future!
For any business inquiries about David McDonald, he can be reached at davidmcdonald@utexas.edu


No comments:

Post a Comment