Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Interview: Karyn Cummings

The Great Change got the chance to catch up with long time educator and Dr. Ralph H. Poteet Principal Karyn Cummings and ask her some questions about the current state of our education system. Our conversation is below, enjoy!

The Great Change: How long have you been in education as a profession?
Principal Cummings: I have been an educator in MISD for 25 years.
The Great Change: What inspired you to get into this particular field?
Principal Cummings: I always loved being a teacher and wanted to be able to help other teachers become great. Administration affords me that opportunity without losing the connection with students. I love seeing students grow and succeed, and as a principal in high school, I am in a unique situation to do just that!
The Great Change: What is your opinion on the idea of adding money management and investment classes to the high school curriculum?
Principal Cummings: I think those courses would be a great addition to the high school curriculum. We currently offer Dollars and Sense as an elective, but the scope of the objectives is limited to what can be covered in one semester.
The Great Change: What is your response to those that say standardized testing constrains creativity in the classroom?
Principal Cummings: I have to disagree that standardized testing limits creativity. I believe teachers must insure a balance of skills and creativity in order for students to be successful on standardized tests. I do believe that the rigor of the tests keeps teachers focused on the skills as they require much time to teach.
The Great Change: How do we ensure that we continue to have good teachers that are capable of helping each student become a functional member of society?
Principal Cummings: Coaching new teachers is critical to keeping them in the profession. If we cannot keep them, they never learn to be truly skilled in the art of teaching. Teaching requires a specific skill set that is perfected over time. The mentoring and coaching by experienced teachers and administrators will assist in retaining teachers. If we can keep teachers through the first 7 years, they typically make teaching their career.
The Great Change: Do you have any further ambitions beyond your position as Dr. Ralph H. Poteet Principal?
Principal Cummings: To be honest, I still love being a campus principal. I am content being at Poteet, but I am willing to do whatever my superintendent would want me to do. Central office would be the next step for me, but I am in no hurry!
The Great Change: Thank you for your time talking to us here and look forward to talking to you again in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment